Thursday, November 19, 2009

How quickly they grow up


It has been a very emotional week for me as we took the step to enrol E into pre-school.

I had been researching and reading and looking for a pre-school for him and I'll admit that I didn't have all the information I needed in the beginning and found it frustrating and confusing trying to sort our public pre-school that is Govt funded v's private pre-schools that aren't... zones and areas and all manner of obstacles here in Canberra.

I think that at one stage earlier this year, I had given up trying to sort it out but I think it was a little bit of being overwhelmed and more about being sad that my little guy was growing up all too quickly!

Especially when we are in the car and he asks me "Mummy I go to big school soon don't I" oh my goodness..... tears and everything from Mummy!

Sometimes I think that I get so upset because I suffer from the same thing that most working mums do..... GUILT and feel that I've not spent enough time with E and the more I try and fix it the worse it gets!

Realistic or not it's the way it makes you feel.

Through the haze of tears and beating myself up that I was a bad mummy - We did find a great pre-school for E and he starts next year and he is really excited. He can't wait to meet his new friends and is looking forward to doing music and all matter of things.... and that just brings a smile to my face and let's me know that I'm not doing such a bad job after all.

4 comments:

  1. they really do grow up very quickly don't they?! and i bet once he's in pre-school next year he'll learn so much and grow into a real little boy right before your eyes (again), which will be really exciting for you!
    bec xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're not a bad mummy, you're doing the best thing for your child. I walked through every kinder in our area, public and private and there was only one I wanted Zac to go to. Thankfully he got in and has been there for the last 2 years. He's come so far with great teachers and a caring environment, it's the best thing I could have done for him.
    I was so sad at orientation and letting him go, but when you see how much they enjoy being there, it gets a bit easier. We're at the next hurdle now, he just had his orientation for going to school next year. I cried and he had a great time. All the mum's are going to have breakfast together after the first day drop off, to make it a little easier.I'm really not looking forward to it, but know he has to go.
    Good luck with it. All the mums are in the same boat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey I'm in the same boat! Chai will do 4 year old kinda next year. It will be the first time she is somewhere else, on her own, without me! BUT she is so ready for it and LOVED orientation day last Monday. It was great to see her having fun.
    Just think of all the art work E will bring home! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh you guys are so great! your kind words and realistic take made me feel better.

    Thank you xx

    ReplyDelete